Tuesday 27 November 2012

Creating the sounds of FutureCity3000

Obligatory black and white instrument collection photo (not relevant)
I thought I might do a little article on creating the sounds for FutureCity3000.

I don't really have any set method for creating sounds I just do what feels silliest (or the most fun). Something like putting an amp effect on drums.

Here's how I created the dream sounds using Ableton Live:

 Mangle a brassy sample and reverse it!

Add a touch of noise and bit crushing to glitch the sound up a bit.

Then I wanted it to evolve a bit or be a bit more ominous or crazy, so I threw on heaps of Ableton preset delay type effects. The crystal reverb works pretty well.

 Finally for a retro feel some detuning. (I read about this on AfroDJMacs site)

There you go! Some weird evolving ominous sound loop!

No comments:

Post a Comment