Monday 26 November 2012

Bloom in AGS

When working on the game I had an idea for how to do a fake 2D "bloom" type effect in Adventure Game Studio

It's not really bloom, but I wanted to create the same sort of light-between-two-buildings-effect that you sometimes see in real life.



You can see the light scattering more when you're directly in line with it.


I used a simple glow overlay sprite that would go more or less transparent depending on how close to the glow object is to the center of the viewport.


The effect in game is quite subtle, but I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Unfortunately I didn't have the skills to be able to code this up my self, so I asked my friend Dave "Duzz" Lloyd to help. He created a glow module which I could use to easily add more glows.

I love fake 2D effects so I hope this inspires people to get creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment